Wonderful itinerary that brings you from the wild wood of Val Genova up to the Mandrone refuge with an amazing view on "Lobbie" and "Matarot" glaciers.
From the parking area at Malga Bedole, take the dirt road to Rifugio Adamello Collini Al Bedole, then follow trail SAT 212 to Rifugio Mandron “Città di Trento”, which is located across from the Adamello glacier, the most extensive of the Italian Alps.
The first section of the route is steep and takes you quickly up an elevation gain of 600 meters (1,970 ft) from start to finish.
Once out of the forest, the itinerary flattens out before the final uphill section. Near the lodge, there is a small Austro-Hungarian cemetery and many signs of the effects of World War I (including trenches, foxholes, etc.).
The climb is regular and quite hard at the beginning: the first part of the route is in the thick wood, then at about 2.100 mt a.s.l., walk out of the wood and go on at the foot of the Lobbia glacier and other scenic views.
We suggest you some stops before reaching the refuge: the Glaciological Center Julius Payer, a permanent exhibition of the local glaciers and the mountain environment; the small mountain lakes and the litlle church built in the local granite. During the First World War, the Mandron area was the scene of clashes and the surrounding area of the refuge is particularly interesting because of the war remains: emplacements, trenches and the little war cemetery.
Trail sign: 212
Please note that the practicability of the itineraries in a mountain environment is strictly linked to the contingent conditions and is therefore influenced by natural phenomena, environmental changes and weather conditions. For this reason, the information contained in this page may have changed. Before leaving for a tour, make sure the path you will approach is still accessible by contacting the owner of the mountain hut, the alpine guides or the visitor centres of the nature parks, the info offices of the local tourist board.
Tips and hints
- For further information about the access to Val Genova and the shuttle buses timetable, visit the web site of the Adamello Brenta Nature Park: www.pnab.it.
- For further information about the path and the route conditions, contact the Pinzolo mountain guides: ph. +39 0465 502111 - www.mountainfriends.it.
Getting thereFrom Carisolo (2 km northward from Pinzolo) take the road to Val Genova till "Piana di Bedole" area (16 km).
ParkingParking ticket at "Piana di Bedole" zone.
Book recommendations for this region:
EquipmentMountaineering boots, hat, windbreakers and sun lotion are highly recommended.
Basic Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Climbing helmet as required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.