The downhill route alternates between forest roads (which are ski runs in the winter) and sections of trail through forests and alpine pastures.
At an altitude of 2,100 meters (6,900 ft), Doss del Sabion offers a full 360° view of the World Heritage Brenta Dolomites and of the Adamello-Presanella group. From here, the itinerary heads down towards Malga Grual (closed to the public) and on to Malga Cioca.
Situated at the start of the Tulot gondola lift, Malga Cioca is a small alpine lodge with café, buffet-style restaurant, and a solarium in a structure that was once an alpine farmhouse. This charming, traditional alpine lodge is less crowded than Pra Rodont or Doss del Sabion and is a great place to enjoy local Trentino cuisine before continuing on to Pra Rodont and back down to the valley by way of the lift system.
Getting thereThe Doss del Sabion cablecar is at 800 mt a.s.l., north of Pinzolo, along the main road SS239 towards Madonna di Campiglio.
ParkingBig free car park at the departure of the lifts.
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
EquipmentMountaineering boots, hat, windbreakers and sun lotion are recommended.
Basic Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Climbing helmet as required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.