DBT Stage 5: Rifugio ai Brentei - Rifugio XII Apostoli
APT Madonna di Campiglio, Pinzolo, Val Rendena Verified partner
Chiesetta al Rifugio Maria e Alberto ai BrenteiPhoto: Enrico Veronese, APT Madonna di Campiglio, Pinzolo, Val Rendena
Fifth stage of the "Dolomiti di Brenta Trek" route, from Rifugio Brentei to Rifugio XII Apostoli.
Rifugio XII Apostoli (2489 m) is situated in an extremely favourable position, on a natural balcony of limestone dominating Val di Nardis, in the southern part of the Brenta group. The original cube shaped refuge, built in the years 1907-1908, was later extended and renovated to make it more comfortable.
Below you can see Val Rendena and immediately beyond the snow covered peaks of Carè Alto and Presanella. Embedded in the surrounding peaks are some of the largest hanging glaciers of the Group that take their names from the peaks above them: Ágola, Pratofiorito, Dodici Apostoli.
The little church, not far from the refuge, was hewn from the rock after an accident in 1950, which involved three young hikers on the nearby Vedretta dei Camosci. The church, inaugurated and blessed on 28 September 1952, is dedicated to the Madonna Ausiliatrice. Every year, on the last Sunday of July, hundreds of alpinists and the S.O.S.A.T Choir come here to participate in a Mass in memory of all those who have died in the mountains.
- The Martinazzi path can prove technically demanding especially at the beginning of the season when there is still a lot of snow along the path. Shortly before the refuges open on June 20, the managers of the Brentei and XII Apostoli Refuges ensure the safety of this path, beating the track and fixing ropes where necessary to facilitate the passage on the snow still around.
- Before setting out on this stretch of DBT, check at the refuges for the trail conditions and equipment required. Every year, on the last Sunday of July, in the church at the XII Apostoli Refuge, a Mass dedicated to all the all those who have died on the mountain is celebrated, attended by hundreds of mountaineers and the S.O.S.A.T. Choir.
Track typesShow elevation profile
Safety informationAttention, before starting the trek check the glacier condition with either Rifugio Brentei or Rifugio XII Apostoli who will inform you about the equipment necesary to cross this small glacier!
Tips and hints
Here the updated information about the conditions of the route:
alpine guides Madonna di Campiglio Pinzolo and val Rendena
Hospitality, refuges and bivouacs:
In summer shuttle bus from the centre of Madonna di Campiglio (Brenta Alta square) down to Campiglio south and Vallesinella (from June to September).
Getting thereThe Brentei Refuge can be reached from Madonna di Campiglio, Val Rendena. From the town, travel by car to Loc. Vallesinella and then ascend on foot following the SAT 317 trail signs to the refuge, a 2 1/2 hour walk away. In summer a shuttle bus service runs from Madonna di Campiglio to Loc. Vallesinella.
ParkingPay and display parking at the departure of the Spinale cableway (connection with the shuttle bus towards Vallesinella).If you want to departure from Vallesinella refuge: there is a big pay and display parking (availability until full and limited Park transports).
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
- technical mountain clothing
- mountain boots with Vibram sole or similar
If the route has equipped parts, brings with you:
- ferrata set
- ferrata gloves
- a piece of rope (suggested)
- ice-axe and crampons (where necessary)
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Help others by being the first to add a review.
Photos from others